With screen time encroaching rapidly on our children’s lives, it is more important than ever to be proactive in finding ways to teach our children new physical skills and to keep them moving. Fortunately, living in the Blue Mountains is like having a gymnasium in our backyard – there are so many opportunities available to keep ourselves and our children physically fit outdoors. However, if you are looking for an indoor, structured program for your children, Ready Steady Go Kids might be what you are looking for.
Ready Steady Go Kids is Australia’s largest multi sport and exercise program for toddlers and preschoolers (aged 1.5–6 years). They began in 2004 with the goal to keep Aussie kids active and involved in sport. Their physio-designed program is run in locations in the Blue Mountains and Penrith, including Emu plains, Springwood, Glenmore Park, Penrith and Cambridge Gardens.
Ready Steady Go Kids classes are designed to:
- Introduce toddlers and preschoolers to a variety of sports in a structured, safe, inclusive and non-competitive environment.
- Show preschoolers that sport and physical activity are fun, thus developing a lifelong passion for exercise.
- Develop and enhance age-appropriate gross motor skills, coordination and correct posture.
- Introduce and reinforce the importance of warm-up and stretching to help prevent injuries, and proper hydration.
- Teach the importance of good sportsmanship and teamwork.
- Decrease childhood obesity.
- Increase each child’s confidence.
- Prepare children for school and participation in the broader community.
- Focus on a specific gross motor, hand-eye/foot-eye and/or balance activity to complement the sport component.
- Repeat skills each week so that participants become familiar and comfortable with the routine.
Each class is run indoors for 45 minutes and they cover five sports each term, taught in two week blocks. The sports included in the Ready Steady Go Kids program are:
Ready Steady Go Kids programs are structured so that they can accept enrolments throughout the term. So, if you have missed the start of a term they might still be able to accommodate your booking and fees will be charged on a pro-rata basis. Click here to see class availability in your area.
Blue Mountains Mums recommend Ready Steady Go Kids because the experienced instructors are positive and encouraging towards the children. They work hard to support the uncertain little ones who be be initially a little reluctant and we saw them eventually join in with confidence, sporting big smiles! Your children will develop a variety of new skills in a supportive, structured and fun environment. They get a free trial lesson and Ready Steady Go Kids accept Active Kids vouchers – what’s not to love?